Welcome to the Official Website for Decentralisation in Namibia
The Government of the Republic of Namibia has adopted the policy of decentralisation as a national policy that seeks to promote participatory democracy and sustainable development for the benefit of its citizens.
- Ensure economic, cultural and socio-economic development, providing people at the grassroots level the opportunity to participate in their own decision-making and extending democracy
- Give sub-national governments discretionary powers to plan-, budget-, and implement in response to local needs, but within the framework of a Unitary State
- To extend, enhance and guarantee participatory democracy.
- To ensure, enhance and safeguard rapid sustainable development.
- To transfer real power to the Regional Councils and Local Authorities based on national ideals and values.
- To improve the capacities of regional and local government councils to plan. implement, manage and monitor delivery of services to their constituents.
Decentralization is the transfer of political, financial and administrative power and decision making from central -to sub-national government in a unitary state.